Baron was the wealthy manufacturer of such popular cigarette brands as Craven A, Turf, and Black Cat. He lived in a house called Elim at 64 The Drive, Hove, from around 1915 to around 1919.
The famous Bernhard Baron Hut was based at the 2nd Eastern Hospital, Brighton, and used by wounded soldiers. When it was no longer required, the hut was moved to Marmion Road, Hove, in 1919 and was used to house the YMCA. – Baron paying for the removal and re-erection.
During the First World War Baron hired St Ann’s Well Gardens, Hove, in order to throw a party for wounded soldiers.
There is a photograph of this event showing Baron, a little dapper figure with goatee beard and wing-collar, amidst the soldiers, including some from India, on page 73 of Hove in Old Picture Postcards (1983) by historian Judy Middleton.
More about Bernhard Baron can be found on a page about him here.
Baron had one son named Sir Louis Bernhard Baron, 1st Baronet (19 October 1876 – 6 May 1934), who was also British-Jewish tobacco and cigarette manufacturer. He was the managing director of the Carreras Tobacco Company
Louis was created a baronet, of Park Street in the parish of St George, Hanover Square, in the County of London, in 1930.[ He died in May 1934, aged 57, when the title became extinct.
He married Elsie, daughter of Bruno Richter of New York. They had one daughter, Myrtle Baron.